Real Madrid Blocks Modric’s Proposed Move To Inter Milan.

P.E. Nation Offer.

P.E Nation

17th August, 2018

Luka Modric’s proposed move to Inter Milan will not see the light of the day after all.

At least, not during this transfer window.

Even though he is rumoured to be very interested in the move to the San Siro, Real Madrid president Florentino Perez continues to clash with his agents in his bid to retain the services of the player.

The matter gets a bit worse than that for the player and Inter Milan as Real Madrid seem ready to make a complaint to FIFA on the issue. The club is very unhappy with the way Inter contacted Modric about a possible move without the La Liga club’s permission.

Real Madrid is hinging its complaints on the fact that it is only legal to contact a player without their club’s permission if they are in the final six months of their contract, which is not the case for the Croatian.

Club President Perez recently reminded everyone who is interested in the procuring the services of the 32-year-old player that Modric has a contract at the Santiago Bernabeu that runs till 2020. 

In that contract is a €750 million (£671 million) buyout clause that Perez recently said must be met for any deal to made on the issue.

Reports had it that Inter coach Luciano Spalletti said last week that he expected Modric to remain at Real but added that the midfielder showed an interest in a switch to the San Siro which can only be a reality possibly next summer when the player will have only a year remaining on his current contract.

There was surely no way that Real Madrid was going to let go of their midfield engine room of a player so soon after losing their talisman Ronaldo to Juventus F.C.

The Croatian’s influence in the team for the last few seasons are only second best to Ronaldo’s and so is not a player that can just be allowed to move away so easily.

It is also no news that and his stock has rarely been higher after winning the Golden Ball at the 2018 FIFA World Cup.

As it stands right now, it is in the best interest of everyone concerned to allow the status quo remain as it was until further notice, with the player needing to prepare himself for the new La Liga season which commences for his team with their opening fixture against Getafe on Sunday at the Santiago Bernabeu.