ICC: Manchester City Comes From Behind To Defeat Bayern Munich 3-2.

      Comments Off on ICC: Manchester City Comes From Behind To Defeat Bayern Munich 3-2.

29th July, 2018

Bernardo Silva came off the bench to bag a brace in the Blues’ triumph over Bayern Munich. In what is gradually becoming a tradition these days, Manchester City had to come from behind to defeat the German Champions by three goals to two.

In fairness to Pep Guardiola, he fielded a team that was mixed with youth and experience and which produced a very impressive display. The team however found itself quickly behind as Meritan Shabani and Arjen Robben gave Bayern Munich a two-goal lead.

However, Bernardo Silva brought back hope for City as he started his 2018/19 season on a strong note by reducing the deficit with a lovely finish into the far corner of Bayern’s net on the stroke of half-time.

All of this happened after a very strong and inspiring start by Mancity who dominated the early proceedings with more Pep-inspired quick-passing and high pressing with Diaz showing electric pace and skill to weave his way into the box inside two minutes before taking out Rafinha – but the young Spaniard was unfortunate not to see his hard work rewarded, as his cross was cleared away.

Then came the moment when Mahrez was brought down and thought he deserved a penalty but the referee felt otherwise. The player had to be treated from the challenge and later was forced to leave the match because of the injury in the same half.

It was however Bayern Munich who struck first against the run of play with their very first chance as Rafinha found himself with too much time and space on the right and crossed for Shabani to head home.

The second from Bayern was no different as they scored in a well organised counter-attack that ended with Robben sweeping past Bravo to double the lead. Robben would even had scored a second but for the brave Bravo who foiled his attempt by producing a stunning low save.

Mancity were unfazed as they continued to find a way around the situation they found themselves in with dangerous Diaz then coming close with two quickfire chances – one which forced Ulreich into another stop, and the second which flew just wide of the top corner.

The deadlock was then broken by the highly impressive Bernardo Silva as he came off the bench to score just before the break. The second half started with City continuing from where they had stopped in the first – on the attack.

This paid off soon as they scored the equalizer six minutes into the half. Foden as usual was involved, forcing Ulreich into a stop, which the Bayern ‘keeper could only parry and Nmecha pounced to open his senior account.

Bayern came looking for a third goal but Garcia then produced an excellent piece of defending to deny them by shielding the ball away from an on-rushing Sandro Wagner.

Soon after, Mancity got a well deserved third goal as Bernardo Silva struck a second time in the game to put the game beyond the reach of the Germans.

On the whole, it was a well deserved come-back win for the Manchester City squad as they protected their slender advantage till the end of the game.

Next game on the cards for the team is the coming weekend’s Community Shield clash with FA Cup holders Chelsea at Wembley (Sunday 5 August, 3pm BST).